IMG_0273edit resize

IMG_0289edit resize






Watch the Bribie Island 2013 Video

The plan was to take Amber for a night camping to Bribie Island as we hadn't seen each other much in the past few years. Unfortunately, she was too sick for the trip, and I really didn't want to waste the opportunity to go. I asked Mum and Peter if they'd be interested. There really wasn't much time for them to decide - it was time to go! They came along at quick notice - packing some bare essentials and using the gear Amber had already packed in (tent, etc).

We arrived at Bribie Island about lunch time and stopped in at a local supermarket for some last minute purchases. From here we headed to Woorim and for the track to the beach. I aired the tyres down and engaged 4H. We cruised down the beach access track no worries. It was pretty cool to pull out on to the beach with perfect weather - clear skies, perfect waves and plenty of beach. We cruised past the 2 lakes and towards the camping area. We pulled in to Site 11 which we had booked - it looked awesome. We decided to keep tracking along the beach towards the World War II bunkers. After a look around all the bunkers, we headed back to set-up camp.

Setting up camp was going smoothly. The new awning was working a treat, my dropside benches were doing as they should, and my quick erect tent was magic. Then I looked over at Peter and their tent. It was pegged out and ready for the poles. Mum and Peter searched around looking for the poles - no poles! A little improvisation and we were able to erect the inner tent with ropes from trees, however no fly. Lucky it was planned for a starry night!

We settled in for the afternoon having a few drinks and enjoying the sea breeze which had stiffened up to 10-15knts. Dinner was meat and not-meat and veggies and an early night. The morning brought amazing conditions. Slight SW wind which allowed clean waves out front. Peter didn't hesitate to have a dip. This encouraged me to grab the SUP and have a go. I got out the back and got about two waves, but found it a little tricky to manage, as the waves were more dumping than curling. The water was refreshing and a nice way to start the day.

Conditions were nice and clear, which allowed us to see whales breaching and jumping in the distance. We stayed for our allocated time, waiting for the tide to go out before heading home. We packed quite quickly and were ready, probably too early. We headed home, but the traffic coming the other way was forcing us from hard sand to the soft, which required going up about a 40cm step-up into very soft sand. This happened a few times - pretty annoying.

We got back to the entrance and aired the tyres up and made it back to Newport about lunch time. I gave the car a good wash down and caught up with the family.






IMG_0327 resize